Crystal Cal Granular Activated Carbon is guaranteed to clear up your cloudy aquarium water overnight. Made specifically for aquarium water filtration, our laboratory-grade activated carbon features a sub-bituminous coal base with optimum pore structure to remove colors, tannins, odors, medications and other common organic waste contaminants.
While most of the carbon sold for fish tanks is actually designed to treat air, Crystal Cal Granular Activated Carbon is washed and steam-activated to treat aquarium water, specifically. Unlike other common carbons or charcoals which can have high levels of contaminants that can leach into water, our carbon has low levels of dust and impurity extractables.
- Eliminates cloudy water in fresh, brackish and saltwater environments
- Effectively removes colors, odors, tannins, and organic waste products
- For use in all aquariums, tanks, and ponds
- Guaranteed results overnight
- Higher performance than lignite, bituminous or coconut shell carbons
- Made according to Food Chemicals Codex (FCC) standards
- Large granules allow for great flow in any filter media bag, cartridge or filter
- Highly effective in reactors, canister filters, intank filters or hanging filters
- High purity, phosphate-free production process
- Mix with Bayoxide GFO Phosphate Reducer for added algae reduction
Applications and Uses
Crystal Cal Activated Carbon is manufactured by Calgon Carbon and specifically formulated for aquarium water filtration. It is made from a sub-bituminous coal base starting material that provides an optimum pore structure for the removal of colors, tannins, odors, medications and other common organic contaminants from aquariums and ponds. Because of this optimum pore structure Crystal Cal Activated Carbon has higher performance than lignite, bituminous or coconut shell carbons for removing common organic contaminants found in aquatic environments. The activated carbon production process is phosphate-free, to eliminate the potential for phosphate release from the carbon which can lead to algae growth. The result is a fast-acting, laboratory grade carbon that is safe for all freshwater and marine fish, invertebrates, plants, and pets.
Crystal Cal Activated Carbon is highly effective in any filtration system you have in your tank, aquarium, or pond. Use in intank filters, canister filters, sumps, hanging filters, or reactors. The large granules allow for great flow in any filter media bag, filter sock, cartridge or filter housing. Mix the activated carbon with other medias such as Bayoxide® E33 GFO Phosphate Reducer for added algae reduction. Crystal Cal Activated Carbon is a high performance, food grade carbon to keep water clear in your freshwater, marine, saltwater, or reef aquarium and your aquatic life healthy.
How to Eliminate Cloudy Aquarium Water and Remove Organic Contaminants
- Recommended dose of 1 cup activated carbon per 50 gallons (1 tablespoon for every 3 gallons) to eliminate cloudy water and organic waste products.
- Place in filter sock or reactor where media will be exposed to water flow.
- Perform gentle rinse to remove fines and dust before use.
- Change every 2-4 weeks.